Alegzandria is a city in the state of Virginia (USA).
|History and geography|
|Center Height||12 m|
|Population||140,024 people (2007)|
|Phone code||+1 703|
|Media files on Wikimedia Commons|
Alegzandria lies on the western bank of the Potomak River, 10 km south of the US capital of Washington.
The first settlement on the site of modern Alegzandria appeared in 1695 and was an English colony. Under Virginia's 1730 law, all tobacco produced in colonies had to be controlled by regional warehouses before being sold. One of these warehouses was near the village.
Over time, it became necessary to create a port city, a port of entry for foreign vessels and a transshipment point for navigation on the Potomak River inland. Captain Philippe Alexander II, a landlord near a tobacco warehouse, and his cousin, Captain John Alexander, set up a new city named after them, Alegzandria. On November 1, 1748 Lawrence Washington, a member of the House of Burgers from Fairfax County, submitted a petition to the Chamber asking for consent to the establishment of the city. In the summer of 1749, earthly work began, in which the younger brother of Lawrence, George Washington, took part.
The founders themselves named the city of Belhafen, in honor of Scottish patriot John Hamilton, II Lord Belhafen and Stantonbut this name, used in lotteries to attract investments, has not come true. Until 1779, Alegzandria remained ununited.
In 1775, after a meeting at the Carlyle House in Alegzandria (April 14), General Edward Braddock began his tragically completed Braddock Expedition to capture the French Fort Duquin and other territories in the Ohio River Valley. In April 1755, the governors of Virginia and the provinces of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York met to decide to join forces against the French presence in America.
In 1785, Virginia and Maryland officials met in Alegzandria to discuss commercial relations between the two states. The Mount Vernon conference, George Washington's family estate, ended with a peace trade and navigation agreement on the Potomac River.
In 1791, Alegzandria was incorporated into Washington's newly established Federal District of Columbia and was returned to Virginia only in 1846, and in 1852 regained the status of a city.
In 1814, during the Anglo-American war of 1812-1814, the British fleet attacked Alegzandria, the city surrendered without a fight. Under the terms of the surrender, the British received flour, tobacco, cotton, wine and sugar from the warehouses of Alegzandria.
From 1828 to 1836 in Alegzandria was one of the largest slave markets of the country. Every year, more than a thousand slaves were sent from here to work in the Mississippi and New Orleans plantations.
The first skirmishes between North and South during the US Civil War occurred in Alegzandria.
Less than a month after the battle for Fort Samter, on May 24, 1861, the Union Army entered Alegzandria. Col. Elmer Ellsworth went with a small detachment to seize a large Confederate flag flying on the roof of a local hotel, visible from the windows of the White House. On the way back, he was killed by Captain Jackson, the owner of the hotel, who was then killed by Ellsworth's soldiers. The death of Ellsworth, a frequent visitor to the White House, caused great unrest in the North, as did the South.
Alegzandria remained occupied by the troops of the North until the end of the Civil War. Then there was the residence of the Government of Virginia, also known as the "Government of Alegzandria".
The buildings of the Virgin Seminary and the Episcopal Higher School during the Civil War were used for hospitals. Bullets, portupei, and other objects of that time were found in the area even in the 20th century.
Black slaves in the south fled their hosts to the areas they controlled when the northerners arrived. Alegzandria and Washington offered them not only shelter, but also work. Because they were still someone's property before the abolition of slavery, they were given the status of "fugitive black" to avoid being returned to their masters. These former slaves served the army, becoming its own soldiers. According to statistics, in 1863 the population of Alegzandria was 18,000, of whom 10,000 were relocated within 16 months.
The black population of Alegzandria, consisting of fugitives and free blacks, lived in barracks, often in unsanitary conditions. After several hundred Negro died in February 1864, a special cemetery was opened. A memorial park will now be built in his place.
During the First World War, a torpedo factory was built. Today, it remains a great example of successful conversion, becoming the Center for Arts of Alegzandria and the center of the lively coastal area with harbors, shops, parks and alleys, restaurants, living quarters and offices.
Since 1988, the city has been developing rapidly. Alegzandria hosts numerous trading companies, charities and non-profit organizations, as well as the headquarters of such well-known organizations as American Catholic Charity, United Way of America, Salvation Army, Military Professional Resources, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Registration Office, the Invention National Hall of Fame US, Future Farmers of America.
In 1999, Alegzandria celebrated its 250th anniversary.
Attractions and culture
The old town, which occupies the eastern and south-eastern part of Alegzandria and the Potomac River embankment, is the oldest part of the city, which appeared in 1749, and a historic district. Here you will find ancient mansions, art galleries, antique shops and restaurants, the house where Gen. Robert Lee was born, Lee Fendall House, the exact copy of the town house of George Washington, the Goth The Stabler-Ledbeter pharmacy and the Art Center in the former torpedo factory, which has a three-story exhibition hall and artists' workshops, is located on the three floors of the Washington D.C., which is a popular venue for art. Near — Alexandria quay.
In 1983, the King Street subway station in Washington opened here, connecting Alegzandria with Washington.
Located to the west of the Old Town, the area built between 1900 and 1920 is the oldest residential area of Alegzandria in a typical American style. Originally planned as a "tram suburb", connected with Washington and Mount Vernon (the estate of George Washington) by electric railroad, Rosemont has organically integrated into the center of Alegzandria. The main attraction here is the Chaterz Hill, crowned by George Washington's Masonic National Memorial. From the observation point, you can view Alegzandria and its surroundings. There are several interesting historical expositions in the museum.
Built in 1945, the area north of the Old Town is predominantly populated by the African-American Diaspora. Local attractions include the home of Samuel Bland, named after an African-American singer and musician, and Market Square, a former slave market. The weekly Saturday Agricultural Fair is now open here.
Located northwest of the Old Town in a residential area. It is notable for its annual street festival on the first Saturday of October, during which artists draw thousands of residents and tourists of the city.
Arlandria and West End
Areas populated mainly by people from Asian and Latin American countries.
Residential area in northern Alegzandria, built in 1930-1960
The city has an extensive parking area with 70 parks and 30 recreational facilities. Cameron-Ran Park has a water park.
Other attractions: Archeological Museum, Carlisle House (mansion of XVIII century), Liceum Museum, Fort-Ward Museum, Mount Manor -Vernon.
- The second Saturday of July is the city's birthday. The culmination of the festival is the concert of the Alegzandri Symphony Orchestra.
The city is served by the Alegzandria Public Schools System and the Alegzandri College Campus in North Virginia. The largest seminary in the Episcopal Church, the Theological Seminar of Virginia, is located at the Seminar Road. Washington-Alegzandri Architecture Center Virginia Tech, located on Prince Street in the Old City, offers graduate programs in urban and planning, public and international affairs, architecture and landscape. The Commonwealth University of Virginia runs the North Virginia School of Social Work and George Washington University, and also runs the King Street subway campus. This campus offers mainly professional programs for managers, urban planning and security.
Alegzandria has several leading private schools in Washington, D.C., such as St. Stephen's School and St. Agnes School, the Bishop's School of Ireton and the Episcopal High School. Also in the city are the Alegzandri Rural Day School, the Commonwealth Academy, St. Mary's Basilica, the Catholic School of St. Rita, the School of Saints and the College of Global Health.
The Alegzandria public school system consists of thirteen primary schools for children from the 5th to the 5th grade. George Washington and Francis S. Hammond secondary schools are in grades 6-8. Minnie Howard, ninth-grader center, and Williams High School, TC, serve grades 9 and 10-12, respectively, for the entire city.
Demographics of city schools of Alegzandria contrasts with demographics of the city. In 2008, only 14% of students at Francis S. Hammond High School were non-Hispanic, compared to 60% when one looks at the city as a whole. 27% were Hispanic, and 48% were black. About 9% of schools were Asian. In 2004, 62 per cent of schoolchildren received free lunches; by 2008, this number had fallen to 56%. At George Washington High School, 41% are non-Hispanic, 34% are Hispanic and 21% are black; 2% of the students were Asians, and 52% of the students received a free lunch. Williams High School also follows this trend; 23% of students were classified as non-Hispanic whites, 25% as Latin American, 44% as black, and only 7% as Asian. 47% of all students received a free lunch.
- Gyumri, Armenia
- Helsinki, Sweden
- Dundee, Scotland
- Kang, France
- U.S. Middle Atlantic Region // Atlas of the World/Composite and Prepared to Publish. PCO "Cartography" in 1999 ; rev T. G. Novikova, T. M. Vorobyova. — the 3rd edition, ster., baked in 2002 from the diapo. 1999 - Moscow : Roscartography, 2002. P. 224. — ISBN 5-85120-055-3.
- Alegzandria // Dictionary of geographical names of foreign countries / ed. A. M. Komkov. — 3rd edition, overwork and additional — M. : Nedra, 1986. P. 14.
- Alexandria-Gyumri Sister City Committee | Boards & Commissions | City of Alexandria, VA
- Alexandria, city in the United States // Encyclopedic Dictionary Brocgauz and Efron : 86 tons (82 tons and 4 additional tons). — St. Petersburg, 1890-1907.
- Travel Guide "en:Alexandria (Virginia)" in Wikigide
- City of Alexandria
- Official Alexandria Visitor’s Site
- Alexandria, Virginia, Guide
- Alexandria, Virginia, Introduction
- Alexandria Times (newspaper)
- AVB, How to Volunteer
- Alexandria Restaurant Menu Guide